Facts and Figures
George Scriba bought the Town of Constantia's land from John and Nicholas Roosevelt in 1793. Mr. Scriba named the settlement, on Scriba Creek, Rotterdam. Throughout the 1790's and 1800's the settlement grew along with settlements in Cleveland and Bernhards Bay. On April 8, 1814 the Town of Constantia, consisting of 57.9 sq. miles, was formed from the Town of Mexico. At that time, George Scriba changed the name from Rotterdam to Constantia. In 1836 two villages were incorporated in the town, Constantia and Cleveland. Constantia gave up its incorporation in 1929 while Cleveland's continues to this date.
New York State Route 49 is the major highway through the town. It runs parallel to the north shore of Oneida Lake. The southern boundary of the town is the south shore of Oneida Lake. The northern boundary runs through the southern edge of the Tug Hill Plateau. The New York State Barge Canal runs through the town on Oneida Lake. The population, according to the 2000 Census, is 5,141; 2,652 male (51.6%) and 48.4% female (2,489). The town is primarily residential in nature, with some light industry in Bernhards Bay and Cleveland. Residents commute to work in an area bounded by Syracuse, Oswego, Fulton, Oneida, Utica and Rome.
Utilities are provided by Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation for electricity and Verizon for telephone. The Town provides Lighting Districts while the Village of Cleveland provides Water and Sewer Districts. Fire protection is provided by the Constantia and Cleveland Volunteer Fire Departments. Ambulance service is provided by the North Shore Ambulance Service, located in the Village of Cleveland.
Recreation facilities include the Town of Constantia Taft Bay Park on Oneida Lake. At the park there are facilities for swimming, picnicking, baseball and tennis. The Village of Cleveland also has a park. There is a New York State ice fishing access site in Bernhards Bay as well as a New York State Boat Launch just east of Cleveland. The old railroad bed is maintained as a recreational trail used for hikers, bicycling, horseback riding, and snowmobile riding. It is connected to many other trails in Central New York.
The Central Square School District provides public education facilities. The high school is located in Central Square, New York and the middle school is located between Central Square and Brewerton, NY. The A.A. Cole Elementary School is located in Constantia and the Cleveland Elementary School is located in the Village of Cleveland. Library facilities are provided by the Julie Thurston Public Library in Constantia.
Other links of interest: